I am so late in updating what is going on around here. Lets try to get back on posting!
Back in 2017 we tackled some big projects. One of it was refinishing the floors of the back entrance and the adjacent office. Before starting on the floors we demolished a little awkward space used to access the basement. It didn’t really have a purpose and just took space. So we demoed it.
I was always a little on the fence on demolishing it because we didn’t have the door to the basement. And I didn’t want to add building a door that matches well with our house to my renovation list. But them we got the news that a neighboring house, built around the same time as ours, was being demolished. We asked if we could check if there was anything that interested us. They said yes. There was not much. The house had been heavily changed and it was in very bad shape. But we left with some hardware and a door! It was almost the perfect size, needing just some little adjustment. And here it is installed.
I still have to strip and finish it (still) but it is just perfect for the place. Walls gone, we could address the floor. There was a layer of old varnish, so it needed some striping.
Then we sanded, but not to heavily to keep its patina. I also had to fix a broken board. It was not a great job and it is moving now, so I will have to fix it again. Anyway, it was our first floor job, so there some of a learning curve there..
And here it is finished!
And just to remember how it was when we had just moved..
Very happy with the result. We have since finished the floors of two other rooms, and there are some other still to come. The back entrance is a big mess right now because it has become my working area for the windows restoring during winter (I will try to post about it soon).