Monthly Archives: August 2011

História de uma coifa

When we installed the range, we were notified we should install a range hood (coifa) in 120 days. It was not in our plans, at least not in such a short time, but we reorganized our priority list and started working on it.

First, we got a help of Pierre’s dad and while I was writing and reading and analysing data for my master they took the shelves out and started making holes everywhere.

Ok, it was not exactly that, but this was the result 😉 The house is made of beans over beans, so it is hard to find the way.

It took long but finally the guys managed to find a way through passing the tubes through Cedric’s room and back to the laundry and then out of the house. But it was late, we just managed to finish it in an other weekend (during a master break..).

After we finished connecting the tubes, we plugged it and turned it on. And it didn’t work! So we tried another switch, we read the manual again, we tried pushing buttons in a different order, we talked to it.. And the stuff was not going anywhere.. Well, after all this work, we found out we had a broke hood.

Next day Pierre spent half day to get it exchanged and we finally got it in place and working!

Now we can move on to the next item of the priority list (sink + dishwasher). Getting closer to a finished kitchen!

Carla


Sneak peak for Cedric


And we are back!

Well, finally the final draft is being revised by my professor and I can resume normal life! We were checking the blog and it is missing some work we done around the house. So, as we haven’t finish the two project we worked on this weekend – the plan is to finish them during the week – I thought it would be nice to show what we have done so far…

1. Upstairs bathroom: we are just started. With a lot of guys in this house, mostly kids, there was no way we could keep a carpeted bathroom. Who decided to put carpet in a bathroom? We took it out and later we scrap the wallpaper too. So, as you all can see it is a very “ready” work in progress:

     

2. Sitting Room: We had some wallpaper scrapping (yes, there is wallpaper everywhere here…), a little patching and painting.

We decided to say goodbye to the blue walls…

…the framed wallpaper detail on the wall…

…and all the blue is gone.. almost, we still have to paint the heater.

As we don’t have furniture for this room yet, we gather all the sitting availble, so we have place to everybody now. But soon we will have to get some furniture and decorate this room for real.

3. Master Bedroom: Wardrobes here are usually very small, I don’t really understand – as you need clothes to all seasons and winter ones are especially bulky – but the wardrobe at our room was particularly small.. there was two shelves (half meters each maybe) and less than one meter for hangers.. I don’t know who can live with just that, but definetly I don’t fit in (even if I moved here in suitcases…).

So we took the walls out, scrapped wallpaper (again) painted the wood and built a structure to hold the new wardrobe that covers the connecting door between the rooms.

     

And that is the final result:

We already installed extra shelves and covered the floor with little rugs but we still have to put curtains to close it and it will be finished. The room, however there is a lot more to do. Soon.

That is it for now!

Carla