Upper cabinets

When you buy a house with the amount of work that we have here, you have to make lots of decisions. Some related to practical life (like installing the dishwasher), some related to code requirements (like installing the hood) and some due to costs. And of course all we want is to have a nice and beautiful place. The equation is not that easy nor obvious, but it brings us to lots of discoveries, especially of what we can do if we try.

One of these decisions was to keep the kitchen cabinets. They were not particularly beautiful, or good quality, or practical, but installing a new one would be expensive, especially if trying to match all these qualities and fitting the house style. So we decided to improve it.

Here is the cabinets when we visited the house.

We decided to open the upper cabinets, taking lots of inspiration from the blog The Lettered Cottage. The main challenge is that our cabinets were quite simple and we had to find some creative ideas to bring them to a finishing less unfinished. We first took all the doors out (long ago, just after we got the keys). And that was what we had to work on.

 

It look clearly like it was missing its doors… The sides were to thin, the structure for the doors too obvious and the internal finishing too much an internal finishing.. So the first solution we came up was to even the framework, make all the sides on the same level, as well as the same size. To do that we got some wood and I first used a staple gun (so cool, but as I am the main photographer of our work here, we don’t have register of that).

This option also opened space to install under cabinet lights, what is particularly useful considering the lack of lamps in the kitchen. Then, we installed some trimming, to give a more finished look. We also added crown moulding (we just got a model that was particularly difficult to paint after installed.. maybe we should have painted before installing, but what is important is that the final result is good.)

Then we primed everything (and got loads of pictures as I let one of the twins in charge).

 

And painted.

 

We also installed the beadboard, painted the same color as the cabinet. And painted the wall the same color as the sitting room. Then it was already beginning of december, Pierre got sick and we had to run to be ready for my family’s arrival.

We were exhausted but extremely happy with the results we achieved!

 

Carla

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: