Monthly Archives: May 2012

First floor bathroom – 3rd update

As soon as we moved we worked in a temporary fix for the downstairs bathroom. We plan to do a very nice renovation there, but as it is the only shower in the house and it was disgusting, we needed to make it usable for now. You can check what we did in here and here.

After these bigger works, we added some little decoration detail, like a mirror and a shower curtain. And now it is a pretty decent bathroom. Nothing particularly beautiful, but no disgusting grout, mold, red walls and dirty vinyl floors.

But there was one thing that was bothering me still. The sink is a kind of plastic material and over time it has turned yellowish. I scrubbed it more than you can imagine, but it always looked like it was dirty.

So I decided to paint it. I found this spray paint for plastic and it has worked well in some other places we tried. I know that a sink is going to be more complicate to hold the paint, but the worst scenario is that I will have to take the paint off. Not exactly a problem, so lets give it a try.

All taped and covered..

and some layers of spray paint after…

A much whiter sink! So nice!

So check it again.

Before:

After:

And a full view of this bathroom, as it is now (I finished the sink curtain). Even if it is temporary I am still not 100% happy with the result. I want to paint the walls again (I am thinking in a strong color for the lower half, maybe blue or pink, but Pierre is not convinced). And we need some caulking to give a more finished looking.. Lets see, lets see.. 😉

Carla

Advertisements

Garden Report – 28.05.12

Spring is arriving intensely around here and everything is sprouting or blooming around..

And this weekend I finished cleaning up the raspberry area.

So I finally managed to go through all the thorns in our garden (I cleaned the roses area 2 weeks ago). The side garden is almost done, I still have to clean up some grass that is inside the lily of the valley space and we are replacing part of the grass with some sort of pavement, due to HEAVY dog walk.

But it is looking nice, specially after Pierre cut the grass.

The lilac will need some serious pruning this year (learning, learning). And I can’t wait for the peonies and roses!

Carla


Spring

Lots of gardening as spring is officialy arrived, I will share pics soon, but the tulips say hi..

Carla


Base cabinets

As we told in a previous post, we decided to keep, and improve, the original kitchen cabinets. We finished the upper cabinets last november, before my family arrived for Christmas here in snowland. We didn’t manage to finish the bottom cabinets due to time constrains and facing reality. But we got back to work now and it was much smoother then we had anticipated in november.

Remembering our starting point:

We started by ripping out the original counters, uninstalling the doors and cleaning&painting the interiors.

Then we installed the new wood counters..

Still in november we painted the cabinet structure

and applied a frame to give a nicer finishing to the doors.

We also applied a layer of plywood on the drawers’ fronts to get everything leveled. And we got everything painted.

Then, when we tried to install everything back it just didn’t fit back. Obviously. If you try to make round\bronken stuff get a little more straight, they just won’t fit in the same space they were before. Obviously.

So, for the last 4 months we had nice painted doors parked in our kitchen till we got back to them this april..

So, to be able to get the doors back in place we had to cut some of the drawers front side, and also adjust the drawers to raise them a little so to stop getting on the doors tops.

But when you cut plywood you have some side effects that we also had to fix.

We decided to not install the corner single door as it would be a lot af adjustment to get it to fit, and instead we opted for a curtain solution.

After we got the doors installed, it was time to install the knobs and pulls. But, then, the drill run out of battery and we are still evaluating what we will do (replace batteries, replace drill, what model then…). In the meantime we borrowed Pierre’s brother’s drill. This is how all projects take longer then initially planned 😉

But today we finally finished the base cabinets!!

Before:

After:

The curtain is a little to long, but I am still not sure where it should stop. Lets live with it for a while and decide later.

And now it is time to start working on the laundry room..

Carla