As usual, things never go as fast as we initially plan. I did not finish the bathroom yet… It is well advanced though!
I decided to restore the window to see if it is something we can really do our selves. I am not finished, but I think it is possible. Long, but possible.
The window had some problems besides being pink. It didn’t close well due to paint built up and it opened too much, forcing the structure of the panel (that was already a little broken).
First step was stripping all that paint. I estimate that there was something around 20-30 coats.
The panel had more to be done: I took all the painting and all the glazing as it was broken in some points. After that, I glued the wood were the weight of the window (when open) had made a big crack.
Then I reglazed. What is much more difficult than it looks like. I am still waiting to fully dry, what has been much longer than expected.
I also stripped the door frame and molding, but we are finishing the door itself outside. So it is still pink and needs some fixing. It will be done as soon as the weather allow us.
The walls were partially covered in a textured wall paper. We kept the wallpaper but painted the same color as the pantry. The pantry and this bathroom are visible from the dining room, both doors are on the same wall, so keeping the same color gives some unity. I decided to paint everything the same color (walls, ceiling and shelves), except the trimmings, that I changed from pink to white.
What we still have to do:
– gluing the wallpaper in some spots;
– paiting the shelves;
– installing new light fixture (that can be a little complicate because, as always, the wires are kind of messy)
– hanging frames and decorating (one of the frames is on the picture above)
– solving the mirror situation (the window is on the top of the sink and the walls here can’t hold anything heavy.. but I have some ideas, let see)
And then it will be finish till we decide to really address this bathroom. At some point in the past there was serious water damage here and things were more patched than fixed. But considering that we have two other bathrooms to fully renovate I think this one will stay like that for a long time…