Recap – Front door

The days before starting the school, I decided to put some deadlines for me as I imagined that it would be difficult to keep working in the house during classes. So, we took the front door out (it was already broken but still functional), so I had some months in front of me to have it finished before winter arrived. And we did it! We installed the door under the first snow, but we did it!

DSC00618

There were some problems with the front door: one of the hinges was broken, forcing even more the others; the hinges were not strong enough; it opened to the side that was more likely to get wind coming in, forcing it open; the hardware was really not beautiful and had nothing to do with the house. So..

The door is not solid wood. But is still very heavy. Someone built it using solid pieces of wood, a lot of them, and two plywood planks. The plywood was in bad shape, but not the structure, so I made some repairs were the wood had rotted, and changed the plywood.

DSC02561

I will have to make some extra coats of red next spring because red on plywood is kind of a complicated mix to achieve a great result. But it is already much better.

The hinges and knob are from a place specialized in replicas, and are very similar to the ones on the basement door (that I don’t know from when it is, but it is problably not original to the house. Or maybe it is, hard to know). And they match the house style much better. The letter box plate is the same that was there before. I just stripped the paint and spray painted in black.

DSC02965

DSC02954

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: