Category Archives: Uncategorized

2017 Summer Garden

I did not have a lot of time for my garden during 2017. It was a year full of projects, most of them I still have to post here, and some bumps in the calendar. But as most of the garden is well set, it put a beautiful display nonetheless.



Entryway – panel

As I said in the last post, instead of fully closing the wall with drywall, we opted for a movable panel for the little wall in the corner, the little bump by the door. Behind the mix of wood and drywall covered in wallpaper, all the plumbing and electricity of the second floor passes.

So it is wise to have an easy access to them.

First I built a little side wall, in drywall.

Then, I built the panel in 2 pieces to reducing risks of warping and also to be easier to move. The panels are very light, just 1×2 and pine paneling.

After painted in white and installed, we could see quite well the line between the 2 different panels.

To conceal it and also to be a landing space, I installed a little shelf. And there it is. Another finished projet in the entryway.

I still have to finish the baseboard in the little corner, stripping and repainting the radiator and decorating.



Entryway – the walls

Couple years ago I decided to start a fast project: strip all the wallpaper from the entryway walls. It is a small space, so it should be fast, but I knew there was a risk. As some of the walls are original plaster, you never know exactly what you are going to find.

Obviously, there was several layers of wallpaper over crumbling plaster..


And from a dated entryway we went to a horror movie one.

The problem was that I just had some weeks available to this work so we had to live for a very long time with a construction zone entryway. The first thing to address was repairing de walls by stabilizing the plaster with washers, then patching holes with drywall and a lot of mudding after.

Same thing on the walls by the front door.

The wall on the corridor to the back of the house was in better shape but had its own challenge. At the back, by the door, there was a big patch (that is a sort of built-in on the other side inside the office). The patch was part drywall and part wood.

I also didn’t like the office side of it, so finally we decided to demolish it all.

And patch it properly.

On the opposite side, by the front door, there was a bump on the wall, just behind the radiator. Again it was a mix of drywall and wood.

Under it, it pass all the plumbing and wires of the second floor.

As we will have to rewire most of it at some point and it is always wise to keep this kind of things accessible, I decided to build a removable panel to cover all the pipes and wires. So no closed walls here.




The new den

A lot has happen this last year and so. I finished woodworking school after two years (I’m not attending the final year) and we bought a second house. We decided for a particular home arrangement and we are now leaving in two houses. So the use of rooms here are changing.

First room to be reassigned was the previous twins rooms. It is now a TV room and also a guest room. It will be also the house library, when I build the bookshelves.

The room is quite small, with sloped ceilings. It had beige walls and floors and bordeaux trimmings.


The plan was to make it lighter and fresher. A cozy, comfortable space to watch movies, read, relax. Walls, trimmings, windows and doors are now painted in white. The tin ceiling got a new coat of white. The floor kept beige. We changed the light fixture.


The radiator got a coat of antique brass, and it is so much nicer.


I also stripped all the painting on the windows pull back to the original brass.


A day bed, that was previously in Kyana’s room, got a lot of pillows to double as sofa, mostly, or bed when the kids come to sleep over.


I am still working on decorating the room, and the other side will get some built-ins to be a sort of library. We might get a new post soon on all that!

Recap – Atelier

The second room in operation beautification was the little kitchen that has became the kids atelier. It had very red wall, half solid red, half sponge painted…


The main goal here was to get rid of all the red.


We had already got some nicer furniture there, and I have some future plans for it that requires some work, so we needed to have it a little nicer till future arrives…

So here is where we are now:

DSC02982  DSC02984  DSC02986


Recap – Petit salon

First room on the list of the beautification project that happened during my January break was our tv room / guest bedroom downstairs. I just couldn’t leave with the purple blue lilac sponge paint anymore. It was mainly painting and new furniture and decor.


We painted the walls a dark taupe. The sofa still the old one, but now it is covered in a white bedspread. We added a bookshelf and Bonbon (our snake) moved here. And then it moved out, back to our office…



And we finally decorated the room. Soon, we will change the sofa and rearrange the things, but for now it is much cozier, more beautiful, everybody happy!



Well, it has been almost one year since my last post. Last august I started school (on woodworking!), kept working and family life went a little bit nuts around here, with 3 kids full-time here and some other challenges…  Additionally, my partner in crime was even busier this last months, so the renovation plans have changed a little. But things kept going!

During my summer vacations I will update on what has happened here the last months as well as tackle some projects, what I already started doing.